Skip to content Skip to footer

Dakota Access Oil Starts Flowing on Day of Trump’s Withdrawal From Paris Climate Accord

The manufacturer of the pipeline said Thursday morning that the vessel is now “in commercial service.”

Players in the dirty energy industry aren’t just giddy about the withdrawal of the US from the Paris Climate Accord.

If President Trump does follow through on his campaign promise to pull out of the multilateral agreement, as widely anticipated on Thursday afternoon, the withdrawal will happen on the same day that the Dakota Access Pipeline was inaugurated. [Editor’s note: Trump is reportedly pulling out of the climate agreement.]

The manufacturer of the controversial pipeline said Thursday morning that the vessel is now “in commercial service.”

“The $3.8 billion Dakota Access consists of approximately 1,172 miles of 30-inch diameter pipeline traversing North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Illinois,” Energy Transfer Partners boasted in a press release.

The pipeline, which will connect oil from the Bakken region of North Dakota all the way down to terminals near the Gulf of Mexico, was vociferously opposed in a movement led by the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and other indigenous nations. Opponents of the project said it would threaten clean water and sites that are sacred to the Standing Rock Sioux.

Protests against construction of Dakota Access raged for months last year, eventually forcing the Obama administration to delay approval of the fossil fuel infrastructure. The delay was quickly reversed by the Trump administration, after President Trump’s inauguration (a celebration funded, in part, by an Energy Transfer Partners executive).

Demonstrators had been met with violent law enforcement officials, who deployed chemical weapons and water cannons in freezing temperatures. Police also sicced attack dogs on protesters, in images that were transmitted around the world.

Earlier this week, The Intercept revealed that Energy Transfer Partners employed a private military contractor that equated Dakota Access protesters to a “jihadist insurgency.”

“[W]e can expect the individuals who fought for and supported it to follow a post-insurgency model after its collapse,” TigerSwan internal documents stated.

In other developments related to the fossil fuel industry, other major parties to the Paris Climate Accord said they have no intention of abandoning it.

“No one should be left behind, but the EU and China have decided to move forward,” said Miguel Arias Cañete, the European Union commissioner on climate change. “Our successful cooperation on issues like emissions trading and clean technologies are bearing fruit.”

Chinese and EU officials are expected to release a joint statement reiterating their commitment to the Paris deal, according to a CNN report on Thursday.

Though not legally binding, the Paris Climate Deal was hashed out by almost every nation in the world. Signatories pledged to reduce carbon emissions in an effort to keep global temperature increases below 3.6 degrees Celsius — a target that itself is seen as insufficient in any bid to stop the most harmful impacts of climate change.

The Trump administration has already moved to abandon the Obama administration’s Clean Power Plan, a power plant emissions-limiting initiative, which was crucial to the US meeting Paris accord commitments.

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.