Skip to content Skip to footer

Israel Has Killed 2,100 Babies Under 2 Years Old in Gaza, Rights Group Says

Just on Tuesday, Israel killed 4-day-old twins and their mother in a bombing in central Gaza.

Three-month-old baby Rim is the sole survivor after an Israeli military attack on the home of the Abu Hiyye family in Khan Yunis, Gaza, on August 15, 2024.

Israeli forces have killed thousands of newborns and babies in Gaza in the last 10 months of its genocide, a rights group reports after Israel killed a pair of twin newborns who were just 4 days old on Tuesday.

According to Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor, Israel has killed 2,100 Palestinian babies under the age of two since October, out of a total of 17,000 children killed.

This is a rate of about 210 babies per month, or 7 babies a day, killed by Israel’s extermination campaign, and Euro-Med reports that infant deaths are being reported every day in Gaza due to Israel’s starvation campaign, bombings and destruction of the medical system.

Most of the infant deaths to starvation and thirst are not included in the official death count from the Palestinian health ministry, which surpassed 40,000 on Thursday, due to vast difficulties in counting such deaths; the death toll is likely far higher than the official death count, experts have said. Many pregnancies have also been forcibly ended due to Israel’s assault on hospitals, the group notes.

Just on Tuesday, Israel killed Aser and Aysal Muhammad Abu al-Qumsan, twin babies, along with their mother and grandmother in an airstrike on a residential building in Deir al-Balah. Their mother, Juman, had just given birth to the two babies four days earlier.

The babies’ father had left the apartment to obtain the birth certificates for the babies when he got a phone call from his neighbors that his family members had been killed by Israel. Heartbreaking video shows him screaming in grief for the loss of his family, begging to see them again and losing consciousness from the intensity of his anguish.

The strike appeared to be targeted precisely on the apartment holding al-Qumsan’s babies and wife. Picture obtained by CNN shows just one corner of a multistory building bombed out, seemingly affecting just one unit.

Euro-Med notes that Israeli forces — due in part to U.S. military assistance — have the technological capability to carry out strikes on exact locations of military targets, but choose to target civilian areas despite international law mandating that militaries minimize civilian deaths.

Al-Qumsan’s story is one of many such stories of parents who have lost their newborns to Israel’s genocide. Euro-Med also notes the story of a man whose child was beheaded during an Israeli airstrike in a supposed safe zone in Rafah in May. The man, Abdul Hafez Al-Najjar, lost his child, Ahmed, who was just 18 months old. Ahmed’s mother and three of Al-Najjar’s brothers were also killed.

“My child Ahmed was very beautiful. He was a year and a half old. He was beheaded in the Israeli bombing. His head was separated from his body. When I saw him, I felt distressed. He was buried without his head,” Al-Najjar told Euro-Med.

Euro-Med notes that Israel’s killing of babies, children and people of reproductive age are proof that its acts carry genocidal intent under the criteria of preventing births and suppressing population growth rates.

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.