This month, The Ladydrawers’ “Growing Season” looks at race and autoimmune disorders in “… Like Lupus,” a strip with the brand-spanking-new contributor, artist Sheika Lugtu! In it, we continue to explore the links between public health, race and food policy as we discuss the disproportionate number of women of color affected by the mysterious illness known as lupus, as well as the extravagant rates at which doctors are receiving Big Pharma payouts to prescribe a drug that may cause it. (Read our first look at autoimmune disorders with Melissa Mendes, “Epidemic,” here.)
We’ll be back next month to look at the agriculture industry with hot new talent Sab Meynert, so catch up on all the strips in the series now.
1. Read: Annoying.
2. Also known as werewolfism.
3. K. T. Ho, C. W. Ahn, G. S. Alarcón, B. A. Baethge, F. K. Tan, J. Roseman, H. M. Bastian, B. J. Fessler, G. McGwin Jr., L. M. Vilá, J. Calvo-Alén, J. D. Reveille, and for the LUMINA Study Group. ”Systemic lupus erythematosus in a multiethnic cohort (LUMINA): XXVIII. Factors predictive of thrombotic events,” Rheumatology (October 2005) 44 (10): 1303-1307, first published online July 19, 2005. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16030085 (accessed August 15, 2015.)
4. “Minority women are disproportionately impacted by the autoimmune disease lupus,” NewsMedical, May 14, 2004. https://www.news-medical.net/news/2004/05/14/1520.aspx (accessed August 15, 2015).
5. “Safety Considerations,” Humira product website. https://www.humira.com/?cid=ppc_ppd_ggl_franchise_brand_2015_humira_Phrase_64X1790908 (accessed August 15, 2015.)
6. Groeger, Lena, and Charles Ornstein, Mike Tigas, and Ryann Grochowski Jones. “Top 50 Companies,” Dollars for Docs: How Industry Dollars Reach Your Doctors. ProPublica, July 1 2015. https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/ (accessed August 15, 2015).
7. Groeger et. al. “AbbVie, Inc.” Dollars for Docs. ProPublica, July 1, 2015. https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/company/abbvie-inc (accessed August 15, 2015.)