A coordinated attack Monday on the US consulate in Peshawar, left eight dead, including three Pakistan Taliban militants. No Americans were killed in the attack.
Lahore, Pakistan – Three powerful blasts rocked the north-western Pakistan city of Peshawar on Monday, in a coordinated attack on the US consulate.
Eight people including three Pakistan Taliban militants were killed but no one in the US consulate was hurt, according to Reuters.
Resident Siraj Afridi said that a group of attackers carrying rocket-propelled grenades opened fire at security personnel before the blasts went off. The three blasts were reported to have occurred within a 20-minute period.
The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. “We accept the attacks on the American consulate. This is revenge for drone attacks,” spokesman Azam Tariq told AFP.
“We will carry out more such attacks. We will target any place where there are Americans,” he added.
Uptick in US Drone Attacks
US drone attacks have intensified in the North Waziristan tribal agency since December, killing more than 100 militants so far this year and hampering their ability to roam freely.
The Pakistan Army is also in the midst of a major operation to clear out militants from the Orakzai tribal agency that borders Peshawar.
Pakistani television channels showed a mushroom cloud rising into the sky while military helicopters circled over the US consulate building in the aftermath.
The US Embassy in Islamabad issued a statement confirming the attack: “The coordinated attack involved a vehicle suicide bomb and terrorists attempting to enter the building using grenades and weapons fire.” It said that at least two of its Pakistani guards were killed and several wounded.
Ex-security chief blames lack of checkpoints
Retired Brigadier Mehmood Shah, an ex-security chief for Pakistan’s Tribal Areas told the Monitor by phone from Peshawar that a lack of checkpoints on the University Road which leads to the consulate may have given the militants a clear run and that security forces may have been caught “relaxing” after a two month lull in attacks in the provincial capital of the North-West Frontier Province.
“They appear to have been planned attacks which would require a week or two of reconnaissance,” he said, adding that. Despite this, he says, footage recorded by the media of the security agencies’ response to the attacks showed they “responded well.”
Among other things, the US consulate in Peshawar coordinates the disbursement of aid into the province. In August 2008, the consulate’s chief officer’s car was ambushed though she escaped injury.
Another Attack 50 Miles Away
Earlier on Monday, a suspected suicide attack at a political rally in the town Timegara, also in the NWFP, killed more than 30 people. The rally, about 50 miles north of Peshawar, had been organized by the province’s ruling Awami National Party to celebrate the expected renaming of the province to Khyber-Pakhtoonkwa.
Under constitutional amendments likely to be passed in parliament this week, the province will be renamed to represent its dominant Pashtun population.
In February, three US soldiers were killed in a roadside bomb at a girls’ school in north-west Pakistan. The soliders had been part of program aimed at training Pakistani paramilitary forces.
We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.
As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.
Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.
As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.
At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.
Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.
You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.