Skip to content Skip to footer

Trump Threatens Iraq — Previously Decimated by US Sanctions — With Sanctions “Like They’ve Never Seen Before”

The people of Iraq have seen devastating sanctions imposed by the U.S. before and the results were catastrophic.

Antiwar activists demonstrate outside the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., on January 4, 2020.

Progressive anti-war voices expressed fresh condemnation of President Donald Trump overnight after he told reporters late Sunday that the people of Iraq would be sanctioned “like they’ve never seen before ever” if they follow through with an effort to force all U.S. military forces out of the country.

Answering questions aboard Air Force One on his way back from a two-week vacation in Florida to the White House, Trump was asked about Sunday’s passage of a two-fold resolution in the Iraqi Parliament that called on the government to expel all American troops from the country and file a United Nations complaint against the U.S. for violating Iraq’s sovereignty with last week’s assassination of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani in Baghdad.

In response, Trump said that the U.S. would not leave on “a friendly basis” and vowed to make the Iraqis pay the U.S. back for military expenditures made in the country during the occupation that followed the 2003 invasion.

“We will charge them sanctions like they’ve never seen before ever. It’ll make Iranian sanctions look somewhat tame,” Trump told the pool reporters. “If there’s any hostility, that they do anything we think is inappropriate, we are going to put sanctions on Iraq, very big sanctions on Iraq.”

The fact is that the people of Iraq have seen devastating sanctions imposed by the U.S. before and the results were catastrophic. A study published in The Lancet in 1995 put the number of child deaths attributable to U.S. sanctions following the first Gulf War as high a 576,000 — over a period of less than four years. While other estimates are lower — and vary depending on the time period considered — the numbers remain in the hundreds of thousands of young children who would otherwise have lived if not for the devastating — and predictable — impacts of U.S. economic and trade sanctions.

In his comments about new U.S. sanctions, Trump specifically mentioned “a very extraordinarily expensive air base” the U.S. built in Iraq. “It cost billions of dollars to build. Long before my time,” Trump said. “We’re not leaving, until they pay us back for it.”

Given the standing international call that the U.S. should be made to pay reparations for its destruction of Iraq over the last 17 years, Trump’s threats to impose crushing sanctions was met with immediate rebuke by critics.

“It’s hard to overstate how bonkers this is,” tweeted Jeet Heer, national-affairs correspondent for The Nation magazine.

At Anti-War.com, Jason Ditz writes:

Iraq, of course, was already under heavy US sanctions from 1989 to the 2003 invasion and occupation. The sanctions are estimated to have killed 1.6 million Iraqis, a great many of them children. Those sanctions were to punish Iraq for weapons of mass destruction that they didn’t have.

Trump’s threat is meant to imply he’ll inflict something even worse on Iraq this time. This is perhaps even more galling in that the threat is the result not of anything wrong that Iraq has done, but just because Trump is very cross with them.

Progressive activist Derrick Crowe, meanwhile, described Trump’s latest threat as “imperial horseshit.”

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.