Skip to content Skip to footer

The Business of Disaster: Where’s the Haiti-Bound Money Going?

"A sweeping exercise in nation-building on a scale and scope not seen in generations

“A sweeping exercise in nation-building on a scale and scope not seen in generations,” said UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon of the international donors conference on March 31 in New York, where foreign nations and other international institutions pledged $5.3 billion toward Haiti over the next 18 months, of which $1.15 billion comes from the US government. Ban continued, “Today, we have mobilized to give Haiti and its people what they need most: hope for a new future.”[i]

In an informal survey of citizens’ views of the international communities’ plans for their nation, taken over the past two months in urban and rural Haiti, not one expressed “hope” or a similar perspective for the plans of the foreign powers. Their experience of “nation-building” under foreign powers has not been positive, either in process or in result.

Twenty-two Haitian organizations, representing religious, conflict resolution, women, human rights, development, and other sectors, had this to say about the three recent international donors’ meetings: “[T]he process is characterized by a near-total exclusion of Haitian social actors and a weak and non-coordinated participation by representatives of the Haitian state … We need an alternative process which can define a new national project which incorporates strategies to counteract exclusion, political and economic dependence, and poverty.”[ii]

Meanwhile, where are the billions in foreign aid money going?

Of the US money, 40 cents on every dollar goes to the US military, according to sources gathered from USAID and the UN and compiled by The Associated Press.[iii] Less than one cent goes to the Haitian government. US government contracts, paid for by citizen’s tax dollars, are being given out to private US corporations for post-earthquake work, including damage assessments, security guards, military “mission support,” shipping of supplies, clean up, construction, long-term planning, “monitoring food security,” and much more.

In early March in Miami, corporations gathered for a “Haiti Summit” to discuss post-earthquake contracting possibilities. The meeting was put together by the International Peace Operations Association (IPOA), whose members are predominantly from the security industry. They include Triple Canopy, the company that took over Blackwater’s contract in Iraq. IPOA’s director came up with the idea for the Haiti Summit in the midst of their recent “Afghanistan Reconstruction Summit.”[iv]

A few of those who have already received post-earthquake contracts in Haiti include:

  • The GEO Group, Inc: Formerly Wackenhut Corrections Corp., the GEO Group is a private prison corporation that contracts with government agencies around the world and relies on the US federal government for about 40 percent of its contracts.[v] The GEO Group recently received a $260,589 contract for “guard services” from the Department of Homeland Security.[vi] GEO Group currently runs 61 facilities worldwide, including the Guantanamo Bay Migrations Operation Center, which serves as a US immigrant detention center[vii]. This January, GEO agreed to pay more than $40 million to settle a lawsuit concerning a beating death in one of their facilities.[viii] In 2007, GEO paid a $200,000 settlement to the family of a woman who alleged that she had been raped and beaten after being locked in a cell block with male inmates.[ix]

Although full details are not available, the newly awarded GEO contract for Haiti mandates, “extend period of performance and add fund for Haiti surge,” indicating possible augmentation of their current contract for the Migrant Operations Center.[x] “Guantánamo is going to be an enormously valuable asset as we go through this,” a spokesman for the State Department recently told reporters regarding US efforts in Haiti.[xi]

The US Congress recently granted Haitians who had already been living in the US at the time of the earthquake the opportunity to apply for temporary protective status, allowing them to stay in the US an additional 18 months. The new bill does not protect anyone trying to flee Haiti after the earthquake.

On March 31, The New York Times reported that, in the chaos following the earthquake, at least 30 survivors were waved onto US-bound planes by Marines.[xii] Upon their arrival, they were locked up at a detention center in Florida, and they remain in custody more then two months later. This detention center is also run by GEO Group on a long-running contract from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Legal advocates have been trying to convince officials to release those detained to family members in the US. Lawyers at the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center have said they have received little to no mental health care.

  • Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI): DAI received a $50 million contract from USAID a few weeks after the earthquake, according to the Miami Herald. The contract was given through the USAID Office of Transition Initiatives, whose mission is to “support US foreign policy … [providing] assistance targeted at key political transition and stabilization needs.” According to The New York Times, DAI works closely with State Department “in disbursing funds around the world.”

The New York Times reported that in Venezuela, USAID’s Office of Transition Initiatives used DAI to channel funds it was disbursing to groups critical of the Chavez government throughout 2005 and 2006, according to documents obtained under a Freedom of Information Act request.[xiii] Earlier this year, a DAI employee working under contract in Cuba was accused by the president of the Cuban National Assembly of working for US intelligence services. The Washington Post linked the employee to “a controversial democracy-promotion program – which had ballooned under the Bush administration – to provide communications equipment to break the Cuban government’s ‘information blockade.'”[xiv]

  • Fluor: Fluor received a $50,000 post-earthquake contract to “coordinate base operations and logistics support” for the US military force in Haiti.[xv] Fluor is a FORTUNE 200 company which, according to their web site, has a “global footprint” in 60 countries. One of their major program areas is “worldwide military support operations” including “logistics, base camp construction, housing, transportation, fuel, meals, laundry, recreation, and other support services.” [xvi]
  • Fluor has held contracts for military support in both Iraq and Afghanistan, and hurricane relief along the Gulf Coast. USA Today reported that Fluor paid $3.2 million to settle allegations that they padded their bills for clean-up work after Hurricane Hugo in 1989, as well as an $8.5 million settlement in 2001 for charging the government for work done for other clients.[xvii]

Footnotes:

[i] “International Donors Conference Towards a New Future for Haiti: Over US $5 billion pledged for Haiti’s recovery,” https://www.haiticonference.org/story.html, March 31, 2010.

[ii] “Position des Mouvements sociaux haïtiens sur le processus de ‘reconstruction’ d’Haïti,” March 18, 2010.

[iii] Jonathan Katz, “Billions for Haiti, a Criticism for Every Dollar,” Associated Press, March 5, 2010. Sources compiled from USAID and the United Nations; see https://www.informationclearinghouse.info/haitiaid.jpg.

[iv] Anthony Fenton, “HAITI: Private Contractors ‘Like Vultures Coming to Grab the Loot'”, IPS News, February 19, 2010, https://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=50396

[v] James Ridgeway, “Will the US Send Haitian Refugees to Gitmo?,” Mother Jones, January 19, 2010, https://motherjones.com/politics/2010/01/will-us-send-haitian-refugees-gitmo

[vi] The contract is through the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, according to the Federal Procurement Data System. CEPR, “Contractors in Haiti, Readying to Profit from Disaster?,” February 16, 2010, https://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/relief-and-reconstruction-watch/contractors-in-haiti-readying-to-profit-from-disaster/

[vii] GEO group, www.thegeogroupinc.com

[viii] CEPR, “Private Prison Company Gets Haiti Contract,” February 19, 2010, https://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/relief-and-reconstruction-watch/private-prison-company-gets-haiti-contract/

[ix] Erin Rosa, “GEO Group, Inc.: Despite a Crashing Economy, Private Prison Firm Turns a Handsome Profit,” CorpWatch, March 1, 2009. https://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=15308

[x] CEPR, “Private Prison Company Gets Haiti Contract,” February 19, 2010, https://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/relief-and-reconstruction-watch/private-prison-company-gets-haiti-contract/

[xi] James Ridgeway, “Will the US Send Haitian Refugees to Gitmo?” Mother Jones, January 19, 2009. https://motherjones.com/politics/2010/01/will-us-send-haitian-refugees-gitmo

[xii] Nina Bernstein, “Rushed From Haiti, Then Jailed for Lacking Visas,” The New York Times, March 31, 2010.

[xiii] Simon Romero, “Venezuela Groups Get US Aid Amid Meddling Charges,” The New York Times, November 9, 2006.

[xiv] Mary Beth Sheridan and William Booth, “Detainee was helping Cuban Jewish Groups Involved in US Democracy Project,” Washington Post, January 13, 2010, https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/12/AR2010011203213.html

[xv] Ms Sparky Blog, “Fluor awarded LOGCAP IV Task Order for Haiti,” February 13, 2010, https://mssparky.com/2010/02/fluor-awarded-logcap-iv-task-order-for-haiti/

[xvi] Fluor, www.fluor.com

[xvii] CEPR, “Contractors in Haiti, Readying to Profit from Disaster?,” February 16, 2010, https://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/relief-and-reconstruction-watch/contractors-in-haiti-readying-to-profit-from-disaster/

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.