As the U.S. defense budget continues to soar to record heights, even the Pentagon is coming out against the requirement that defense officials submit mandatory funding “wish lists” each year, a practice that tacks on tens of billions of dollars to already sky-high budget requests.
In response to efforts by Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Massachusetts), Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Department of Defense Comptroller Michael McCord both came out against the requirement for officials to send Congress an “unfunded priorities list” on top of the existing budget request. These wish lists, as they’re often called, amount to the yearly budgets of entire agencies; in 2024, the Pentagon asked for $24 billion on top of the $773 billion for its regular budget.
The leaders say that they support Warren’s efforts to repeal the requirement for the agency to submit “unfunded priorities lists.” Anti-war advocates and opponents of the requirement — which was implemented under President Donald Trump in 2017 — say that it represents yet another way to add absurd amounts of money to the defense budget.
In a letter to Warren sent last week, McCord wrote that Congress should “reconsider the merits of this approach,” and that having leaders “submit priorities for additional funding absent the benefit of weighing costs and benefits across the department is not an effective way to illuminate our top joint priorities.”
Then, in a hearing on Tuesday, Austin appeared to admit that the label of “unfunded” is a misnomer and that, indeed, the Pentagon would be just fine with only the hundreds of billions of dollars it gets in funding every year. In an exchange with Warren in the Senate, Austin said that the Pentagon was able to carry out all of its operations with much lesser use of the wish lists during the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and that the agency is able to craft a budget without the add-ons.
“Secretary Austin, does DoD have sufficient tools to address emerging threats without relying on the unfunded priorities list?” Warren asked.
“We do. And again, we account for that as we build the budget,” the Secretary of Defense said.
Warren said in a statement that such wish lists only undermine the budget-making process, allowing the Pentagon to circumvent normal procedures to grab more funding from federal coffers. “The budget process requires making tough choices and setting clear priorities, and requesting billions of dollars in ‘unfunded requirements’ has been undermining that process,” she said. “I’m glad that DoD agrees we need to repeal the requirement to provide these ‘wish lists’.”
The Pentagon’s support for ending the wish lists makes it abundantly clear that Congress is continuing the practice solely because lawmakers have a vested interest in funneling billions more to the Defense Department and private defense contractors; theoretically, the Pentagon’s stance should appeal to the deficit and fiscal responsibility hawks who endlessly criticize welfare spending while approving trillions of dollars for war and imperialism.
Anti-war advocates say ending the mandate would be an important step toward the ultimate goal of decreasing U.S. defense spending.
“These wish lists result in tens of billions of dollars in Pentagon budget increases for congressional pet projects and pork. No other agency has a mandated opportunity for a second bite at the budget apple,” said Lindsay Koshgarian, director of the National Priorities Project, in a statement emailed to Truthout. “Ending the wish list requirement — and ending the wish lists themselves — would be an important first step toward bringing Pentagon spending under control.”
Next year’s defense budget is set, yet again, to reach a record high. President Joe Biden has called for a towering $886 billion in military spending for 2024 — and Congress will likely tack on tens of billions more to that budget, as lawmakers customarily do, inching the country closer to the grim milestone of a $1 trillion annual military budget.
We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.
As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.
Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.
As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.
At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.
Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.
You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.