Fox News host Sean Hannity, who invited guests on his program to peddle false claims of election fraud in the weeks after former President Donald Trump lost the 2020 presidential election to President Joe Biden, told a courtroom on Wednesday that he never believed the lies that he perpetuated on his show.
Hannity made his comments during a pre-trial court hearing in Delaware. Dominion Voting Systems, which supplied voting machines in several states and which has been falsely accused of interfering with the 2020 election by Trump loyalists, is suing Fox News for defamation over its role in disseminating lies about their product.
On November 30, 2020, nearly four weeks after the 2020 election, Trump-aligned lawyer Sidney Powell appeared on Hannity’s Fox News program, wrongly stating that Dominion’s machines “trash[ed] large batches of votes” for Trump to help secure Biden’s win. Powell claimed that the company was doing so in coordination with the Venezuelan government.
There is no evidence that the company ever manipulated ballots or worked with foreign countries to change the results of any election.
Hannity acknowledged the absurdity of Powell’s comments in court earlier this week. “I did not believe it for one second,” Hannity said under oath.
In order to prove that Fox News engaged in defamation, Dominion will have to demonstrate that the conservative media channel deliberately spread false and disparaging claims about their company, resulting in harm to their brand. Hannity’s comments suggest that at least a few Fox News employees were aware that the election fraud claims were untrue and decided to broadcast them anyway.
The trial against Fox News is set to officially start in April. Hannity’s comments on Wednesday were part of a pre-trial deposition to address several issues that have to be resolved before the trial begins.
Although Fox News and other right-wing outlets have decreased coverage of baseless claims of election fraud, Trump continues to wrongly insist that election fraud was responsible for his loss to Biden two years ago.
In a Truth Social post on Wednesday, Trump falsely claimed that Twitter had interfered with the 2020 presidential election. In the same post, he claimed, without evidence, that the Obama administration “spied” on his campaign during the 2016 presidential election cycle.
Trump then vaguely suggested that the remedy for these alleged abuses was to remove Biden from office, which would presumably reinstate him as president.
“What should be done about such a terrible thing, or should we let someone who was elected by cheating and fraud stay in office and continue to destroy our Country?” Trump asked in his post.
Earlier this month, Trump called for the U.S. Constitution to be “terminated” so that he could be reinstated as president — a suggestion that should disqualify him from running for president in 2024, legal experts have said.
“Trump’s announced intention to trash the United States Constitution means he can never be trusted to obey the Constitution’s Oath to preserve and protect it,” Harvard Law professor emeritus Laurence Tribe said at the time.
We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.
As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.
Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.
As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.
At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.
Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.
You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.