Skip to content Skip to footer
|

Reform Advocates Celebrate “Supermax” Tamms Prison Closing

Sidewalk dirt drawing, supporting the closure of the Tamms Supermax prison in downstate Illinois. 61st & Blackstone. (Photo: reallyboring)

Honest, paywall-free news is rare. Please support our boldly independent journalism with a donation of any size.

The Tamms prison in Illinois, which helped fuel a nationwide movement against solitary confinement and “supermax” prisons, shut its doors on January 4.

Prison reform advocates celebrated the closure, which they say ends more than a decade of torture for the men incarcerated inside Tamms.

“There is not a single man left behind. The era of the notorious Tamms supermax prison is over,” reads the Facebook page of Tamms Year Ten, the activist group working to close the prison. “We are going through stages of relief, disbelief, celebration and reflection.”

Operating as a “supermax,” Tamms was built to house prisoners that were considered the most dangerous. Groups including The American Civil Liberties Union found that most inmates placed into solitary confinement fared significantly worse than when they went in, and suffered from mental health issues and self-mutilation brought on by their isolation.

The closure comes after a drawn-out battle between prison reform advocates, the union and Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn. Tamms was only one of several prisons that Quinn chose to close in a move he said would save the state $100 million a year.

The closure plan eventually overcame a lawsuit by the prison guard union and the return of line item funding to keep Tamms and other facilities open by downstate legislators in the November veto session.

Before Tamm closed, The Belleville News-Democrat estimated that 25 percent of the inmates had been held in solitary confinement since it opened, more than 10 years ago.

On January 5, the Tamms Year Ten campaign offered a report from a mother of one of the transferred inmates:

“My son called at 6:04 p.m. tonight. Things seem good at Pontiac. They were passing the phones around, and it was not an automatic cutoff. The guard came and told him his time was up. We had a wonderful visit on the phone. He and many others received their personal property on Sunday. Some have already gone out to the yard. He also had two oranges, fresh fruit! He was happy that he was given a real toothbrush and a regular pen instead of the little short ones. He said that it is the small things that matter. He is behind bars and not the steel doors and will have to adjust to the noise.”

A terrifying moment. We appeal for your support.

In the last weeks, we have witnessed an authoritarian assault on communities in Minnesota and across the nation.

The need for truthful, grassroots reporting is urgent at this cataclysmic historical moment. Yet, Trump-aligned billionaires and other allies have taken over many legacy media outlets — the culmination of a decades-long campaign to place control of the narrative into the hands of the political right.

We refuse to let Trump’s blatant propaganda machine go unchecked. Untethered to corporate ownership or advertisers, Truthout remains fearless in our reporting and our determination to use journalism as a tool for justice.

But we need your help just to fund our basic expenses. Over 80 percent of Truthout’s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors.

Truthout has launched a fundraiser to add 500 new monthly donors in the next 10 days. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger one-time gift, Truthout only works with your support.