Skip to content Skip to footer

Tucker Carlson Has Plans for His Own “Media Empire”: Report

According to Axios, he is preparing to battle Fox News to get out of his contract, which concludes in January 2025.

Tucker Carlson speaking at the 2021 AmericaFest in Phoenix, Arizona, on December 24, 2021

Did you know that Truthout is a nonprofit and independently funded by readers like you? If you value what we do, please support our work with a donation.

Former Fox News host Tucker Carlson is preparing to battle the network to get out of his contract after he was pulled off the air last month, according to Axios.

Since being ousted from the network in April, Carlson has allegedly begun to ready plans for his own “media empire.” However, he can’t act on them until his contract with Fox concludes in January of 2025.

Two days after being let go, Carlson in a Twitter video teased the idea of creating a Fox rival, saying, “See you soon.”

Axios added that Carlson has reportedly been contacted by other right-wing outlets, such as Rumble and Newsmax, who have offered to pay him more than Fox.

Fox, whose ratings in Carlson’s slot have fallen since cutting loose the inflammatory anchor, wants to keep Carlson under wraps by paying him $20 million a year to not work, according to the report.

“The idea that anyone is going to silence Tucker and prevent him from speaking to his audience is beyond preposterous,” Bryan Freedman, Carlson’s attorney, told Axios.

People close to Carlson have said that he is thinking about creating a direct-to-consumer media outlet that would see viewers pay him directly, the blueprint for which was created by disgraced former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly.

A Carlson source said that the former Fox host “knows where a lot of bodies are buried, and is ready to start drawing a map.”

Another indicated that MAGA allies are prepared to strike back at Fox for keeping Carlson in the shadows.

“They’re coming to him and saying: ‘Do you want me to hit Fox?’ He’s been saying: ‘No. I want to get this done quiet and clean,'” a friend of Carlson’s told Axios.

“Now, we’re going from peacetime to Defcon 1,” the friend added. “His team is preparing for war. He wants his freedom.”

A terrifying moment. We appeal for your support.

In the last weeks, we have witnessed an authoritarian assault on communities in Minnesota and across the nation.

The need for truthful, grassroots reporting is urgent at this cataclysmic historical moment. Yet, Trump-aligned billionaires and other allies have taken over many legacy media outlets — the culmination of a decades-long campaign to place control of the narrative into the hands of the political right.

We refuse to let Trump’s blatant propaganda machine go unchecked. Untethered to corporate ownership or advertisers, Truthout remains fearless in our reporting and our determination to use journalism as a tool for justice.

But we need your help just to fund our basic expenses. Over 80 percent of Truthout’s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors.

Truthout has launched a fundraiser to add 379 new monthly donors in the next 6 days. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger one-time gift, Truthout only works with your support.