Skip to content Skip to footer

News in Brief: Iraq Combat Phase to “End,” but Troops Remain, and More

Iraq Combat Phase to “End,” but Troops Remain

Iraq Combat Phase to “End,” but Troops Remain

The New York Times reports that President Obama is expected to announce that the US combat phase in Iraq wraps up this month. The paper also reports that, even though the president will be honoring a campaign promise to “bring the war in Iraq to a responsible end,” conditions in Iraq – from an unreliable electrical grid to unfinished reconstruction projects, polluted water and damaged infrastructure – undercut what still needs to be done.

Despite Obama’s announcement, 50,000 troops will remain in Iraq conducting “antiterrorist raids,” training Iraqi soldiers and guarding US personnel, according to The Washington Post.

Afghanistan 2011: US Troops Will Remain

The 2011 deadline for US troops in Afghanistan will remain a benchmark, but Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said the withdrawal will be “limited,” according to a report by AlJazeera. According to the AFP, Gates’ remarks on Sunday echo those of Vice President Joseph Biden. The AFP says the vice president has previously said he expected “as few as 2,000 troops might withdraw from Afghanistan by July 2011.”

Britain’s High Commissioner Called to the Carpet

Fallout from UK Prime Minister David Cameron’s remark that Pakistan exports terrorism continues. The Guardian reports that Pakistan has called Britain’s high commissioner to Islamabad for what the paper calls a “dressing down.” Pakistan’s President Asif Zardari is expected to visit London tomorrow. The Guardian says England’s prime minister will not apologize for the comment: a spokesman says Cameron was not talking about Pakistan’s government, but “elements” within the country.

Rocket Hits Jordan, Killing at Least One

Jordanian and Israeli officials say a rocket that was probably aimed at Israel hit Jordan, killing at least one and injuring at least four, the New York Times Reports. The BBC reports that there was “a large explosion at the Gaza house of a senior Hamas commander” on Monday. Israel has denied involvement with Monday’s attack, according to the BBC, which notes Israeli plans launched air attacks in Gaza Friday and Saturday.

BP Static Kill to Start This Week

BP is angling to attempt a “static” kill to permanently seal the well in the Gulf today, according to Reuters. Clogging the well has two components: “the static kill” – pumping mud and cement from the top – and the “bottom kill,” which would take the same approach, from the bottom of the well. Progress, however, is not certain, and The Wall Street Journal reports that local Louisiana officials are trying to make sure BP expertise and equipment stays put. The Wall Street Journal says officials worry that the spill’s full impact is not yet understood and releasing BP’s resources would make getting them back on site difficult. Meanwhile, The Wall Street Journal says Rep. Edward Markey is asking why the energy giant violated an Environmental Protection Agency directive to use less of the chemicals. The Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works has a hearing on oil dispersant use Wednesday.

Internet Explorer Joins the No-Privacy List

Internet Explorer eight could have been a privacy benchmark for Microsoft, with hi-privacy default settings, but the computer giant chose advertising dollars instead, according to The Wall Street Journal. The result, the Wall Street Journal reports, is a web browser that plays to “input from advertising executives” and forces users to hunt down the privacy settings and calibrate how much of their Web behavior they want to share. According to the report, before the advertising input, Internet Explorer’s privacy capabilities were “industry leading.” It also notes that 50 of the most popular web sites in the US install “an average of 64 pieces of tracking technology” onto computers.

Breitbart Loses RNC Gig

Video editor/blogger Andrew Breitbart’s been discharged of his Republican National Committee (RNC) fundraising obligation. CNN reports that a fundraiser at which Breitbart was to appear with RNC Chairman Michael Steele later this month has been canceled. Breitbart has been under scrutiny for his heavy editing of a video, which misrepresented now-former Department of Agriculture employee Shirley Sherrod as not helping a farmer because of race. Sherrod has said she will be suing Breitbart.

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.