Skip to content Skip to footer

Israel Resorts to Psychological Warfare to Try to Break Palestinian Hunger Strike

More than 1,500 Palestinian prisoners entered their fourth week without food as Israel intensifies its efforts to break the hunger strike.

More than 1,500 Palestinian prisoners entered their fourth week without food on Monday as Israel intensifies its efforts to break the hunger strike.

The striking prisoners are demanding improvements in conditions and an end to solitary confinement, heavy restrictions on family visits and administrative detention — prolonged imprisonment without charge or trial.

Israel has refused to negotiate with or discuss the demands of the hunger strikers, referring to the prisoners as terrorists and calling the strike a media ploy.

Meanwhile, the Israel Prison Service is attempting to demoralize its participants and their supporters.

Threats of Force-Feeding

Israeli media report that the government is considering bringing in foreign doctors to potentially force feed hunger strikers.

The Israeli Medical Association stands with global medical opinion that force feeding is “never ethically acceptable,” as is stated in the World Medical Association’s Malta Declaration, and is tantamount to torture.

In a statement released on Saturday, strikers said “we emphasize that any attempt to implement the crime of forced feeding against any prisoner on hunger strike will mean for us a project of the execution of the prisoners.”

Palestinian prisoners on hunger strike died as a result of being subjected to forced feeding in the 1970s and ’80s, according to the rights group Addameer.

“Psychological Warfare”

On Sunday, Israel released footage that it said shows hunger strike leader Marwan Barghouti eating sweets in the bathroom stall of his prison cell on on 27 April and 5 May.

The videos are time-stamped but could not be independently verified.

Israel Prison Service sources told the Tel Aviv daily Haaretz that they intentionally set Barghouti up.

Israeli authorities have sought to discredit Barghouti since he launched the mass hunger strike last month, casting the protest as a political maneuver to assert his popularity and vie for leadership of the Palestinian Authority.

Public security minister Gilad Erdan, who pushed for the legalization of forced feeding in 2015, called Barghouti a “murderer and a hypocrite.”

“The Palestinian prisoners’ hunger strike has nothing to do with their prison conditions, and everything to do with the political interest of Marwan Barghouti,” Erdan stated on Sunday, repeating claims he made in The New York Times last week.

Barghouti’s lawyer called the video “psychological warfare” against the prisoners.

“We can’t address the content of the clip so long as they don’t let us meet with Marwan. Let us visit him and then we will check the claims with him,” the lawyer said.

Barghouti’s wife, Fadwa Barghouti, said the video was a “low” move by Israel.

“The prisoners are familiar with Israel’s lies and games and the video they released signals the beginning of its fall,” she said at a press conference on Sunday.

Punishment

After nearly three weeks of refusing to allow hunger strikers to meet with their lawyers, on 3 May the Israel Prison Service was told by the high court that the practice was illegal.

Over the weekend, lawyers met with detainees at Ketziot and Nitzan prisons for the first time since the strike began.

At Ketziot, lawyers reported that several of their clients were unable to walk or stand.

In addition to increased raids and transfers to solitary confinement, Israel has also begun seizing money from striking prisoners’ accounts.

In response, the Palestinian Authority announced that it would stop paying an allowance to prisoners. This money is used for purchases at the prison commissary, including salts, which are a vital nutrient for hunger strikers.

According to lawyers who visited Ketziot, the prison authorities have denied prisoners access to the commissary and have begun fining them for not standing up during roll call.

A committee formed to support the hunger strike is calling on the Palestinian Authority to halt security coordination with Israel and suspend municipal elections scheduled for 13 May.

There are some 6,300 Palestinian prisoners currently being held by Israel, according to the rights group Addameer.

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.