A former lawyer for Donald Trump has some candid advice for him: Stop talking.
Tim Parlatore, who up until last month was among the team of lawyers representing the former president in the Mar-a-Lago government documents investigation, appeared on CNN on Tuesday to discuss Trump’s current legal situation. Among the topics he spoke with host Abby Phillip about was a Fox News interview that Trump gave over the weekend in which the former president presented a new excuse for why thousands of government documents were improperly in his possession.
Trump appeared to admit in that interview that he knew he had government documents in his possession and that he was keeping them in violation of a subpoena order from last year. He tried justifying this action, however, by claiming that the documents were intermingled with his personal items, and that he was simply too busy to organize them.
“Because I had boxes, I wanted to go through the boxes and get all of my personal things out. … I was very busy, as you’ve sort of seen,” Trump told Fox News host Bret Baier.
Several legal experts who have watched the interview said that Trump’s words were an admission of guilt.
“Mr. Trump’s lawyers had to be cringing during that interview, and DOJ lawyers were no doubt taking notes,” Bradley Moss, a national security attorney, told Newsweek.
Trump was indicted earlier this month with 37 counts of criminal wrongdoing relating to his hoarding of documents — which he removed from the White House after he left office — at his Mar-a-Lago estate. The allegations against him include charges that he illegally held onto sensitive government materials in violation of the Espionage Act and that he obstructed efforts by the Department of Justice and the National Archives and Records Administration to retrieve the documents last year.
Importantly, the laws Trump is alleged to have violated don’t concern themselves with how a person stores government documents or whether they are too “busy” to separate personal and governmental records — even if Trump’s latest defense is accurate, it doesn’t demonstrate innocence; if anything, it provides greater evidence of negligence, something the statutes do cover.
In his interview on Tuesday, Parlatore was asked whether Trump’s words were indeed an inadvertent confession. Parlatore didn’t give a definite answer about his former client’s apparent flub, but said that Trump was only hurting himself by continuing to talk openly about the case.
“It’s difficult to know” if Trump was admitting to obstruction or not, Parlatore said. “This is one of the reasons why we always advise our clients, ‘Don’t talk about the case. You have the right to remain silent. Use it. Let your attorneys talk about it.'”
Prosecutors could use Trump’s words in a trial, however, Parlatore said.
“Putting that statement out there — with that question — yes, the prosecutors can absolutely use that,” the former Trump lawyer added.
Parlatore also declined to explain, when asked by Phillip, what specific advice he has given Trump in the past.
“As a general practice, I always tell all my clients, ‘Don’t talk about the case,'” Parlatore said.
We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.
As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.
Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.
As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.
At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.
Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.
You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.