Skip to content Skip to footer
|

FBI: Clinton “Extremely Careless” in Handling Classified Info, but No Charges Recommended

The bureau also revealed it was likely that Clinton’s personal email server was compromised by foreign hackers.

Truthout is an indispensable resource for activists, movement leaders and workers everywhere. Please make this work possible with a quick donation.

FBI Director James Comey stated on Tuesday his that agency is not recommending for any criminal charges to be brought against Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton for her use of a private email server while Secretary of State.

Though sparing Clinton of formal charges, Comey did put forward a scathing rebuke of her email practices as the nation’s top diplomat.

“Although we did not find clear evidence that Secretary Clinton or her colleagues intended to violate laws governing the handling of classified information, there is evidence that they were extremely careless in their handling of very sensitive information,” the FBI chief told reporters.

He revealed that investigators discovered 52 email chains running through Clinton’s insecure server that contained classified information. That included eight threads with “top secret” information, 36 with a “secret” designation, and eight with classified info.

Another 2,000 messages were later deemed classified after they had been sent and received.

“There is evidence to support a conclusion that any reasonable person in secretary Clinton’s position or in the position of those with whom she was corresponding about those matters should have known that an unclassified system was no place for that conversation,” Comey said.

The findings directly contradict claims made by Clinton herself earlier this year, in response to a probe by an Intelligence Community Inspector General that turned up classified emails on Clinton’s personal server.

“I never sent or received any material marked classified, and that hasn’t changed in all of these months,” Clinton alleged in January. “This, seems to me, to be, you know, another effort to inject this into the campaign. It’s another leak.”

Comey noted Tuesday the FBI’s investigation itself was prompted by the internal investigation.

He also stated on Tuesday that there was “evidence of potential violations” by former Secretary of State Clinton and her team. It is the FBI’s judgment, however, that “no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” Comey said.

The FBI Director also revealed information that has been previously unknown regarding the Clinton email saga.

He reported that investigators had discovered “several thousand” work-related emails that were not turned over to the State Department by Clinton, as required. The bureau discovered the missing correspondence by combing through decommissioned servers and archived email inboxes belonging to other government officials who had communicated with Clinton.

“We found no evidence that any of the additional work related emails were intentionally deleted,” Comey claimed. He suggested that Clinton’s lawyers may have incidentally deleted the messages while using an insufficient method to differentiate between work-related and personal emails.

The bureau also revealed it was likely that Clinton’s personal email server was compromised by foreign hackers.

Agents couldn’t find direct evidence of an intrusion, but Comey noted that individuals who had been corresponding with Clinton during her time at State had their personal accounts hacked. He also said that Clinton herself had extensively used her private email, sending and receiving messages while abroad in “territory of sophisticated adversaries.”

Therefore, Comey, said on Tuesday, “we assess it is possible that hostile actors gained access to secretary Clinton’s personal email account.”

The FBI investigation into Clinton began last summer. Questions about the objectivity of the probe arose last week after it was reported that Attorney General Loretta Lynch had met privately with Bill Clinton on an airport tarmac in Arizona.

Comey insisted that politics had no effect on the inquiry. “No outside influence of any kind was brought to bear,” he said Tuesday.

A terrifying moment. We appeal for your support.

In the last weeks, we have witnessed an authoritarian assault on communities in Minnesota and across the nation.

The need for truthful, grassroots reporting is urgent at this cataclysmic historical moment. Yet, Trump-aligned billionaires and other allies have taken over many legacy media outlets — the culmination of a decades-long campaign to place control of the narrative into the hands of the political right.

We refuse to let Trump’s blatant propaganda machine go unchecked. Untethered to corporate ownership or advertisers, Truthout remains fearless in our reporting and our determination to use journalism as a tool for justice.

But we need your help just to fund our basic expenses. Over 80 percent of Truthout’s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors.

Truthout has launched a fundraiser to add 460 new monthly donors in the next 8 days. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger one-time gift, Truthout only works with your support.