Skip to content Skip to footer

After Belgium Refused to Cut Off UNRWA Funding Israel Bombed Its Gaza Aid Office

Belgian ministers demanded a meeting with Israel’s ambassador envoy to the country to discuss the attack.

Photos shared by Belgium's foreign affairs minister show the destroyed office building that housed the Belgian Agency for Development Cooperation in the Gaza Strip, on February 1, 2024.

Belgian officials expressed outrage Thursday after Israeli forces reportedly bombed the office building of the Belgian Agency for Development Cooperation in the Gaza Strip, an attack that came after Belgium declined to join the U.S. and more than a dozen other countries in cutting off funding to the United Nations’ Palestinian refugee agency.

“The offices of Enabel, the Belgian development agency in Gaza, were bombed and destroyed,” Hadja Lahbib, Belgium’s foreign affairs minister, wrote on social media. “Targeting civilian buildings is unacceptable.”

Lahbib and Caroline Gennez, Belgium’s minister of development cooperation and urban policy, posted photos of the destroyed building and demanded a meeting with Israel’s ambassador envoy to the country to discuss the attack, which took place on Wednesday.

Jean Van Wetter, the CEO of Enabel, said Thursday that “we are all shocked.”

“As a government agency working for the common good in a framework of international humanitarian law,” he added, “we cannot accept this.”

None of the agency’s staffers were believed to be present when Israeli forces struck the building, as Belgium withdrew Enabel employees and their families from the territory two weeks ago.

A satellite data analysis released earlier this week shows that more than half of Gaza’s buildings have been damaged or destroyed by Israel’s U.S.-backed bombardment of the Palestinian enclave — one of the most devastating bombing campaigns in modern history.

The timing of the attack on the Belgian office building raised eyebrows, with observers pointing to the nation’s status as one of the handful of Western countries not suspending aid to the U.N. Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in response to Israel’s allegation that a dozen of the agency’s employees took part in the October 7 attacks.

“Belgium is one of the Western countries that has refused to cut funding to UNRWA. So Israel just bombed the office of the Belgian Agency for Development Cooperation in Gaza,” Trita Parsi, executive vice president of the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft, wrote on social media. “This is a direct result of the impunity Washington has provided Israel.”

Sixteen countries have halted their financial support to UNRWA, compromising the aid agency’s ability to deliver humanitarian assistance to Gazans increasingly at risk of starvation and disease. Philippe Lazzarini, the UNRWA’s commissioner-general, said Thursday that the agency “will most likely be forced to shut down” its operations in Gaza and across the region by the end of this month if funding isn’t restored.

The U.S. State Department announced its decision to suspend funding for UNRWA last Friday, just hours after the International Court of Justice ruled that South Africa’s genocide case against Israel was plausible and ordered the Israeli government to ensure the flow of humanitarian assistance to Gaza.

Questioned about the timing of the U.S. decision to suspend UNRWA funding, State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said during a press briefing Thursday that “there was no concern” internally that the announcement would be seen as a rebuke of the ICJ’s interim ruling.

Norwegian Foreign Minister Espen Barth Eide, whose country is among those that have declined to suspend aid to UNRWA, said Thursday that he is “reasonably optimistic” that at least some of the countries that have cut off funding will reverse course in the near future.

Eide said earlier this week that he has been “discussing the question of funding with other donors” and urged “fellow donor countries to reflect on the wider consequences of cutting their funding to UNRWA”

“UNWRA is a vital lifeline for 1.5 million refugees in Gaza,” he added. “Now more than ever, the agency needs international support.”

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.