The telecoms industry’s legal assault on the Federal Communications Commission’s “Net Neutrality” rule has been momentarily halted.
A ruling handed down by the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit on Tuesday upheld the FCC’s regulations. Finalized in early 2015, they reclassified service providers, and subjected them to new rules, in a bid to ensure equal treatment of online traffic.
The commission’s Open Internet Order — perhaps the most significant progressive policy achievement of last year — was the culmination of years of grassroots organizing and agitating in response to internet companies’ threats to enclose cyberspace; by walling off or “throttling” content that inconveniences the provider.
“Today’s ruling is a victory for consumers and innovators who deserve unfettered access to the entire web, and it ensures the Internet remains a platform for unparalleled innovation, free expression and economic growth,” FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said in response to Tuesday’s court ruling.
The three-judge panel affirmed the commission’s authority to reclassify fixed and mobile internet service providers as a public utility in order to apply greater regulatory pressure on them.
The court also rejected arguments made by industry lobbying groups that Net Neutrality rules violate telecom companies’ First Amendment rights.
“Because a broadband provider does not — and is not understood by users to — ‘speak’ when providing neutral access to Internet content as common carriage, the First Amendment poses no bar to the open internet rules,” Judges David Tatel and Sri Srinivasan wrote.
Judge Stephen Williams partially dissented in a separate opinion.
Though defeated in court, opponents of Net Neutrality vowed to fight on, and will likely appeal to the Supreme Court. They also put out a call for assistance to their allies on Capitol Hill.
“While this is unlikely the last step in this decade-long debate over Internet regulation,” said the National Cable & Telecommunications Association in a statement, “we urge bipartisan leaders in Congress to renew their efforts to craft meaningful legislation that can end ongoing uncertainty, promote network investment, and protect consumers.”
Although there are a number of proposals pending in the legislature that could cripple the FCC’s internet rule-making, none are likely to overcome a presidential veto.
We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.
As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.
Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.
As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.
At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.
Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.
You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.