Skip to content Skip to footer

Goldman Sachs Subpoena for Records on Financial Crash

Washington – The congressional panel investigating the causes of the financial crisis said Monday it has subpoenaed documents from Wall Street giant Goldman Sachs because of the company’s failure to voluntarily comply with a request for documents and access to executives for interviews. It marked only the second time that the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission has resorted to a subpoena in pursuing a sweeping examination of the roles of major institutional players in the meltdown that crippled the global economy.

Washington – The congressional panel investigating the causes of the financial crisis said Monday it has subpoenaed documents from Wall Street giant Goldman Sachs because of the company’s failure to voluntarily comply with a request for documents and access to executives for interviews.

It marked only the second time that the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission has resorted to a subpoena in pursuing a sweeping examination of the roles of major institutional players in the meltdown that crippled the global economy.

In a three-paragraph statement, the panel declined to say what material it had subpoenaed or whom it was seeking to question.

Goldman spokesman Michael DuVally said: “We have been and continue to be committed to providing the FCIC with the information they have requested.”

Goldman previously turned over about 2 million subpoenaed documents to the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. At a marathon hearing in April, the Senate panel confronted Goldman Chief Executive Officer Lloyd Blankfein and six other company executives with evidence that it had peddled risky mortgage securities while secretly betting billions of dollars on a housing downturn that would sink their value.

The FCIC faces a December deadline for delivering a report on its findings to Congress. Democratic Chairman Phil Angelides and Republican Vice Chairman Bill Thomas warned last year that it would consider issuing subpoenas to any company or institution that stalled in voluntarily producing requested materials.

In April, angered over foot-dragging by Moody’s Investors Service, the FCIC subpoenaed documents from the credit ratings agency, leading to a hearing on its role last week.

Under the law creating the commission, a subpoena only can be issued with at least seven votes from the panel of six Democrats and four Republicans.

Blankfein testified to the commission in January along with the CEOs of Morgan Stanley and JPMorganChase.

Goldman, the only Wall Street firm to safely exit the subprime mortgage market before the housing crash, has been at the center of several federal inquiries into possible misbehavior.

In a series last November, McClatchy reported that Goldman had sold more than $40 billion in mortgage securities backed by dicey home loans in 2006 and 2007 without telling investors that it was betting that similar securities would default

On April 16, the Securities and Exchange Commission filed a civil fraud suit accusing Goldman of allowing a longtime client, the hedge fund Paulson & Co., to rig an offshore deal so that it could bet against the mostly subprime mortgage securities. Paulson reaped a $1 billion profit, while two European banks together lost about $1 billion.

The U.S. attorney’s office in Brooklyn, N.Y. also is considering whether to formally open criminal investigations into the mortgage dealings of Goldman and other major banks.

In addition, the office of New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo is investigating whether Goldman and seven other banks misled credit ratings agencies to win top investment-grade ratings that would attract pension funds and other institutions to buy risky mortgage securities.

We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.

As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.

Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.

As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.

At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.

Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.

You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.