Kabul, Afghanistan – At least 21 people were killed in a series of attacks across Afghanistan on Saturday as a U.N. agency announced that May had been the deadliest month for Afghan civilians since 2007.
At least 15 civilians including children and women were killed when a landmine struck their crowded minivan in the restive province of Kandahar.
The dead were eight children, four women and three men, and another woman was injured.
Kandahar is a southern province that's known as the birthplace of the Taliban movement. It shares a border with the Baluchistan province of neighboring Pakistan, which is believed to be the safe heaven for the Taliban leader Mulllah Omar and other senior commanders.
In a separate incident, a suicide bomber blew himself up and killed a senior police commander and three others in the eastern province of Khost.
“The suicide bomber was waiting in a nearby location as the commander of the police quick reaction force left the base. The commander, a police officer and a 12-year-old child were among those killed in the blast, said Mubariz Zadran, the spokesman for the provincial police chief.
It is believed that Col. Zahir Zazai, who was appointed five months ago to the job, was the main target of the attack.
Zadran said that 23 others, including eight police officers and 15 civilians, were hospitalized with injuries.
Violence has increased across the country as President Barack Obama prepares to pull out a number of combat troops from Afghanistan next month. Responsibility for the security of at least three provinces and four cities will be given to the Afghans.
Also Saturday, two police officers were killed and eight others injured when a mine detonated in the eastern province of Laghman, according to a statement issued from the Afghan Interior Ministry.
President Hamid Karzai strongly condemned the suicide attacks in a statement issued from the presidential palace. Karzai was in neighboring Pakistan on Saturday for the first meeting of a joint Afghanistan-Pakistan peace commission.
“The terrorists are afraid of peace process developments, and by planting landmines on the roads which civilians use and carrying out suicide attacks on security forces they want to pretend that peace efforts fail,” Karzai said in the statement.
Also Saturday, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan announced that May had been the deadliest month for Afghan civilians since 2007. The agency documented 368 conflict-related civilian deaths in May and 593 civilian injuries.
Anti-government forces were responsible for 82 percent of the all civilians killed in the conflict, the agency said; pro-government forces were responsible for 12 percent of the deaths.
© 2011 McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Truthout has licensed this content. It may not be reproduced by any other source and is not covered by our Creative Commons license.
We’re not backing down in the face of Trump’s threats.
As Donald Trump is inaugurated a second time, independent media organizations are faced with urgent mandates: Tell the truth more loudly than ever before. Do that work even as our standard modes of distribution (such as social media platforms) are being manipulated and curtailed by forces of fascist repression and ruthless capitalism. Do that work even as journalism and journalists face targeted attacks, including from the government itself. And do that work in community, never forgetting that we’re not shouting into a faceless void – we’re reaching out to real people amid a life-threatening political climate.
Our task is formidable, and it requires us to ground ourselves in our principles, remind ourselves of our utility, dig in and commit.
As a dizzying number of corporate news organizations – either through need or greed – rush to implement new ways to further monetize their content, and others acquiesce to Trump’s wishes, now is a time for movement media-makers to double down on community-first models.
At Truthout, we are reaffirming our commitments on this front: We won’t run ads or have a paywall because we believe that everyone should have access to information, and that access should exist without barriers and free of distractions from craven corporate interests. We recognize the implications for democracy when information-seekers click a link only to find the article trapped behind a paywall or buried on a page with dozens of invasive ads. The laws of capitalism dictate an unending increase in monetization, and much of the media simply follows those laws. Truthout and many of our peers are dedicating ourselves to following other paths – a commitment which feels vital in a moment when corporations are evermore overtly embedded in government.
Over 80 percent of Truthout‘s funding comes from small individual donations from our community of readers, and the remaining 20 percent comes from a handful of social justice-oriented foundations. Over a third of our total budget is supported by recurring monthly donors, many of whom give because they want to help us keep Truthout barrier-free for everyone.
You can help by giving today. Whether you can make a small monthly donation or a larger gift, Truthout only works with your support.