Rodeo is a part of life for many Americans. But if you’re an LGBTQ rodeo fan participating in the sport you love can mean hiding part of who you are to fit in. But a tight knit group of queer cowboys has found a way to live the country and Western lifestyle in their own way. You don’t often hear the words “gay” and “rodeo” together. On this edition Producer Vanessa Rancaño brings us one bull rider’s story.
- Jason Strand, bull rider
- Stud Monkey & David Grub, rodeo competitors
- Clint Coil, rodeo judge and Stud Monkey’s partner
- Judy Munson, Gay Games Rodeo Committee Chair
- Darcey Ward, arena crew member
- Rob Matyska, arena crew coordinator
- Tom Porter, rodeo fan and David’s partner
- Bill Lyle & Jane Silva, co-owners of The Thrill at Morgan Hill Rodeo Company
- Steve Wollert, longtime IGRA member
- Michael Weldert, rodeo fan
- Edwin & Romiro, Bill Lyle’s employees
- Will Ikeman, Jason’s husband
The stakes have never been higher (and our need for your support has never been greater).
For over two decades, Truthout’s journalists have worked tirelessly to give our readers the news they need to understand and take action in an increasingly complex world. At a time when we should be reaching even more people, big tech has suppressed independent news in their algorithms and drastically reduced our traffic. Less traffic this year has meant a sharp decline in donations.
The fact that you’re reading this message gives us hope for Truthout’s future and the future of democracy. As we cover the news of today and look to the near and distant future we need your help to keep our journalists writing.
Please do what you can today to help us keep working for the coming months and beyond.